Bitcoin and Blockchain technology ignited the Internet of Value revolution. Peer-to-peer networks, encryption, sovereign ID and open source software are changing the paradigms that used to rule the world. However, we are still far from being able to offer developers and digital users the seamless user experience than centralized solutions offer. If we want Blockchain technology to provide the world the benefits of a decentralized and permission-less internet we need to make it easier to use, faster and scalable.
RIF OS Vision
RIF OS (RSK Infrastructure Framework Open Standard) has been conceived to facilitate the interaction of developers and users with Blockchain technology and foster mass adoption. RIF OS is a suite of open and decentralized infrastructure protocols that enable faster, easier and scalable development of distributed applications (dApps) within a unified environment.
The RIF Services, developed over the RSK network, will tackle the most important thresholds of the ecosystem to facilitate the development of secure, user-friendly, decentralized Apps (dApps):
- RIF Name Service (RNS) and RIF Identity: The RIF Name Service was designed to make the user experience more friendly by providing an architecture which enables the identification of blockchain addresses by human-readable names or aliases. Along with the “ease of use” by adding a name resolution service, or “alias”, the probability of errors is significantly reduced. RNS is part of the RIF Identity framework which will also include dynamic address resolution (handshake), payment channel IDs, decentralized storage IDs, social network handles, decentralized ID and decentralized encrypted reputation https://www.rifos.org/nameservice.
- RIF Lumino Network and RIF Payments: Lumino is an off-chain payment channel network available for every token on the RSK network which allows thousands of tps at extremely low cost. RIF Lumino is part of the RIF Payments framework which will also enable the interoperability with the Lightning Network and other off-chain payment networks including cross-blockchain and cross-token transactions. With near-instant processing capabilities and network transaction costs at a fraction of a cent, the RIF Lumino Network provides the infrastructure necessary to set the foundation in order to build the financial system of the future. The launch of the RIF Lumino Network is the first step towards a scalable network infrastructure (https://dev.rootstock.io/rif/lumino/).
- RIF Storage: It is a unified interface and set of libraries to facilitate encrypted and decentralized storage and streaming of information. RIF Storage is meant to allow users to store and share all sensitive data in a secure manner. RIF Storage will offer multiple options for different needs, from decentralized swarm storage to encrypted cloud and physical storage.
- RIF Communications: Centralized social networks, telcos and tech giants are starting to innovate and venture into payments and the exchange of value. However, they are doing so with the same centralization, censorship and data collection standards they have been using for decades. RIF Communications is meant to enable peer-to-peer decentralized networks used to relay blocks, payments and tokens to also be able to transfer encrypted messages, chats and information. RIF Communications is designed to be a set of APIs that will allow parties to register their communication methods, discover other parties and contact them in a secure manner ensuring confidentiality, integrity, and authenticity.
- RIF Data Feeds: Many complex smart contract solutions require access to real-world data feeds (oracles). RIF Data Feeds is designed to be a protocol that will allow decentralized applications to access information in a secure, tamper-proof and trust-minimized manner, guaranteeing a deterministic output (all miner nodes must get the same value for a specific query request) on values fetched from external sources and providers. RIF Data Feeds will also include a “pull model” option, where the consumer pays and retrieves the data on a per-query basis and a “subscription model”, where the consumer pays a fixed price for access to the data, which may be cached by the service provider and updated periodically.
RIF OS Roadmap
In the first eight months since the launch of the RIF OS framework, there have been multiple launches and releases of RIF services.
- November 2018: RNS 1.0 launch, RNS simplified the blockchain Domain Name Systems (DNS), by turning traditional blockchain domains that appear as a series of randomized letters and numbers into human-readable form, such as a name or an easily remembered word, greatly reducing complexities and errors while opening up blockchain domain accessibility.
- May 2019: RIF Lumino Network launch, a third-layer solution to the Bitcoin blockchain, that enables payment channels for every token built on RSK, increasing transaction throughput and reducing costs by orders of magnitude.
- June 2019: RNS 2.0 multi-blockchain resolver launch, RIF Name Service became the only service in the world that allows to manage domains and aliases for tokens built on top of any platform enhancing interoperability and making it easier to users to move assets flawlessly across different networks.These releases allow to integrate RNS in multiple wallets and use it to resolve RSK, BTC and any other blockchain address.
But this is just the beginning, in the next 12 months the IOVLabs team will be focused on delivering the following technologies over the RIF OS framework:
- Q3 2019
- RNS 1.1 upgrade (auction elimination and replacement by direct purchase of domain)
- RIF Lumino: Light Client + Invoicing + SDK
- Light Client: Enabling light clients to connect to RIF Lumino Network without the need to run a full node. (required for mobile integrations)
- Invoicing: adding invoicing functionality for Lumino payments (pre-defined QR codes to request payments)
- RIF Storage: Beta release on RSK testnet (this will allow to store files in an encrypted and decentralized manner) and RNS integration (RIF Storage will also benefit from the multiple synergies among RSK and the other RIF Services)
- Q4 2019
- RNS reverse resolution (allows to search for specific domains) and escrow service (simil GoDaddy to allow trustless sell/purchase of RNS domains)
- RIF Payments: Hub fees (allow Hubs to charge for the relay of transactions to reward their working capital. Very important to promote network scalability)
- RIF Storage: RSK mainnet launch plus RIF Lumino integration (Lumino allows to pay the economic incentive for the decentralized storage)
- RIF Data Feeds: Beta release (MVP)
- Q1 2020
- RNS: integration with DNS (to allow owners of internet domains to register their same domain on RNS)
- RIF Payments: Lightning integration (through the RIF Payments libraries) and cross-token payments (Payments and atomic swaps between tokens in the RIF Lumino network)
- RIF Storage: Encrypted cloud storage (allowing users to easily encrypt their information in the cloud with the same interface. Ideal for heavy files that cannot afford swarm storage)
- Q2 2020
- RNS & RIF Communications: RNS dynamic resolution (“handshake”. Allows dynamic resolution of multiple addresses with the same domain ID)
- RIF Payments: Watchtowers (provide security to users in case their counterparty wants to take their funds when they are offline. Key for mobile dApps) and cross-blockchain payments (allowing to start payments on Lightning and finishing them on Lumino tokens and vice versa)
- RIF Storage: Persistent storage (allows users to pay the network to store content that is not popular and the pay-per-retrieve model doesn’t work) and full UI & libraries to facilitate user interfaces and integrations
RIF OS Synergies
Beyond the innovation of the individual RIF Services, there is a significant amount of value coming from the synergies within the whole RSK/RIF full stack developed by IOVlabs. These synergies come from shared infrastructure, aligned and coordinated roadmaps and a shared vision to better serve use cases that can serve millions of users. Some of these synergies are:
- RSK and RIF general peer discovery through RNS
- RSK network scalability through RIF Lumino
- RIF Storage incentives via RIF Lumino
- RIF Communications as a general purpose peer-to-peer routing layer for RSK and RIF
- RIF Communications and Lumino for RSK public nodes as a service
- RIF Data Feeds for RNS/DNS integration and RSK decentralized stable coins
On top of these integrations, we foresee additional infrastructure synergies through the RSK Federation members serving as RIF Lumino Hubs and Watchtowers as well as integrated RSK/RIF full nodes.
We at IOVLabs, deeply believe that the Bitcoin, RSK and RIF technologies can empower our global society to develop the building blocks of a more decentralized, private and fair society with equal opportunities to all. Join us and let’s build the Internet of Value together.
RIF OS Roadmap
RIF OS Video
RIF Lumino Network
RIF Name Service
RIF Storage Blog https://www.rifos.org/blog/rif-storage-a-decentralized-storage-solution/
Visit us at www.rifos.org and join the revolution!